Postcard photo by G.W. Scott of Rochester, N.Y. “Golfing at Skaneateles Country Club. One of the large variety of summer sports available in this pretty eastern gateway to the Finger Lakes. The Country Club also sponsors many sailing regattas annually.” Bonus points for identifying the foursome and the hole.
A lantern slide of Skaneateles, taken from a garden on West Lake Road, by Frederick W. Martin (1877-1949), a Pasadena photographer. He opened his studio in 1907 and his wife, a watercolor artist, began hand-coloring his photographs in 1911. More than 3,000 of his photographs, most of the San Gabriel Valley, are in the California State Library collection, but at some point Martin made a trip across the U.S. and took photos in New York and New England. He signed his work “Fredk. W. Martin.” This particular slide came from a collection in Ojai, California.
“The spirit of Colonial days seemed to permeate Skaneateles recently as kerchiefed and full-flounced ladies cordially welcomed a stream of callers during the two days of the historic home and garden tour. Sponsored by the Skaneateles Garden Club for the purpose of raising money for a bird sanctuary, the experiment was more or less in the nature of a trial, watched with interest by garden clubs in other sections of the state…
“One cannot hope to describe individually the stately homes filled with beautiful antiques surrounded by green lawns, majestic trees and terraced gardens.
“A garden to be enjoyed to its fullest capacity must be a place of recreation as well as a place for inspiration and when both are so charmingly combined as at Evergreen House [98 W. Genesee St.], the home of Mrs. Charles Roth, president of the club, the owner is indeed fortunate.
“Shall we take advantage of the hostess’ sunny smile and step inside for just a moment and follow other guests as they stop now and then to examine something of historical interest. I am sure you will pause longest, however, to enjoy the beauty of an arrangement of Egyptian lotus, the centerpiece on the dining room table exquisitely set with French period china and over which hangs a crystal chandelier from the palace of the Tsar.
“Leaving the house we cross a short stretch of lawn and enter the large formal garden at the opposite end of which a stone terrace fronting a lily pool bids attention and over which a white arched trellis gives a note of accent.
“To the left is another less formal garden with beds edged with brick, and paths converging to a sundial in the center. Beyond this, one catches the glint of sunshine sifting through the green leaves, making patterns on the wide stone terrace that has been developed as the recreation area for the family. Here, not only a huge fireplace, but other accessories necessary for a steak supper in the open, shared with congenial companions, are in evidence. Loveliest of all is the ancient elm which stands at one side with a spread of 80 feet or more, and casts long shadows on this garden picture.
“An ancient Sycamore tree with seventeen feet or more in circumference, five feet from the ground, at the home of Mrs. Clarence Wolcott [75 E. Genesee St.] whose Georgian home boasts one of the outstanding doorways in the community, was a fitting example of one woman’s love of trees. Every tree on the place has for years been under the care of tree experts and they have responded loyally by spreading their refreshing shade over lawns and gardens alike.
“Romance and history mingle at the home of Judge Ernest I. Edgecomb [77 E. Genesee St.], for here the garden is still laid out according to the original plans made 100 years ago. In a distance of 500 feet, from the house to the end of the lot, there are several interesting units. Ivy completely covers rocks piled cave fashion on the lawn, with a recessed pool and flanked on either side with a large planting of plumed poppies, and makes an unusual picture that can be seen from the house. Two gingko trees, male and female, are planted either side of the lawn, while dense shrubbery conceals two summer houses. One was built for a former owner by neighboring Indians and the other is of a later era, conforming more to the architectural lines of the house that is built after the style of the old French country houses.
“Still other surprises are in store for the garden visitor, as a long grassed path, with a narrow border of annual and perennial bloom whose foliage blends with the scintillating tints and shades of lilac and forsythia, lures one on to explore the mystery of a vanishing path at the end, only to find that it leads eventually to the carriage house in the rear.
“A basket of dried teasels handed out as souvenirs in the garden of the Robert S. Flannigan home [81 E. Genesee St.], reminded one of the fact that Skaneateles was once famous for the teasels raised and sold to the textile industry. Fuller’s Teasel (Dipsicus fullonum) is still used to raise the nap on woolen cloth, no machinery ever having been invented to take its place.
“The sloping tree-covered lawns with a vista of the lake in the distance seen at the home of Judge [Edmund H.] Lewis [116 E. Genesee St.]; tall Ionic columns lending dignity to Roosevelt Hall, home of Mrs. H.L. Roosevelt, where shining nectarines (that peach with a smooth skin) were seen hanging in the greenhouse; the broad sunken garden of The Beaches [Beeches], home of E.N. Trump and family, leading to the lake shore; the terraced gardens at Mingo Lodge, home of Mr. & Mrs. Harold Beatty, with the tiny figures in the rose garden representing spring, summer, autumn and winter, and where water gushed from a retaining wall into a pool beneath; and, last, the home of Mrs. John Wilkinson [2985 East Lake Rd.] across the lake.
“Here is a fine example of the restoration of an old colonial farmhouse, a spacious living room in the center, from which one steps into a room filled with an unusual collection of old glass. One part of the collection contains dainty paperweights whose bright flower colors vie with those in the lovely terraced gardens outside.
“Six levels, each with grassed paths, some bordered with annuals and perennials, others with roses, stretch across the sloping land on the shores of the lake and, separated by boxed privet hedges, lies like a Persian scarf from the house to the boundary line of shrubbery at least 200 feet beyond.
“How true the lines in the old sampler on the walls of the living room which read, ‘The glory of the garden abideth not in words,’ but rather, we add, in the hearts of those who labor in it and who pause to drink in its beauty.”
* * *
— “Members of Local Garden Clubs Tour Down State Beauty Spots with Skaneateles Group” by Jane W. Chamberlain, Buffalo Courier-Express, September 10, 1939
Note: “The glory of the garden abideth not in words” is from “The Glory of the Garden” by Rudyard Kipling, a poem first published in A History of England (1911) by C.R.L. Fletcher and Rudyard Kipling; the actual quote is “The glory of the garden it abideth not in words.”
In 1960, Holiday magazine offered this: “After much thought and consulting notebooks and menus, not to speak of a certain amount of dissension, we have selected for these pages thirty restaurants, outside New York [City], which we recommend as good examples of the upward surge in public dining.” And we made the list.
39 W. Genesee St., Skaneateles, N.Y.
Nothing has changed at this shrine of American home cooking since that day in 1899 when Fred R. Krebs first loaded a platter chin-high with chicken and dropped half a pound of farm butter in the crater of a monstrous mound of mashed potatoes. You don’t dine at Krebs: you eat. You sit at long tables, elbow to elbow, and close by strangers who are invariably nice. Course after course is brought in and you eat what you want and as much as you want.
Dinner starts with an appetizer of shrimp, melon or fruit cup, followed by a choice of three soups. The waitress staggers under the vast tray, divided between fried chicken and sliced steak. Help yourself to mashed white or candied sweet potatoes, or both, and don’t forget the gravy. Fill in the remaining spaces with odds and ends, like creamed mushrooms on toast, fresh garden vegetables, home-baked brown bread or rolls, and sticky cinnamon buns. Salads of several kinds appear. And just when you are ready to whisper “help,” a beaming waitress unloads ice cream, pie, strawberry shortcake in berry time, local melon in late summer, and heaps of chocolate brownies and angel food cake at all times.
Nothing here to interest the fastidious gourmet with Continental leanings. But travelers yearning for food as it used to be have been known to swing 200 miles off course to drive to Skaneateles for a genteel Sunday orgy. Prices are moderate, reservations imperative.
“Forsaking goldfish and Victrola, Syracuse University undergraduates have crowned their hamburger gulping champion instead. The king of ‘wimpies’ is Glenn Leader of Skaneateles, who downed the five required hamburgs in one minute and 27 seconds during a contest sponsored by the Yankee Inn, near-campus restaurant.
“In the preliminary tryouts in which finalist were selected, Leader chewed through five well-catsuped hamburgs in two minutes and two and one-half seconds to lead all other contestants and the two other qualifiers for the main event, and in the finals beat even his own record.”
— “Wimpy Goes Collegiate,” Cortland Democrat, May 26, 1939
Photo of Glenn Leader from the 1939 Onondagan
Note: J. Wellington Wimpy, generally referred to as Wimpy, was a hamburger-loving character in the comic strip Popeye, created by E. C. Segar in 1934.