Bruno August Wittkuhns was an engineer and inventor who came to the U.S. from Germany. In 1933, he founded a company specializing in testing products for reactions to vibration, impact and pressure — and building the machines to perform those tests.
About 1940, Wittkuhns, with his wife and children, began summering in Skaneateles. He did this painting, of the south end of the lake seen from the eastern shore, in 1944.
In 1953, Wittkuhns moved his company, now called L.A.B., to a new building on Onondaga St., bringing his workers and their families from New Jersey to the village.
This painting was a gift of Bruno Wittkuhns to the grandfather of David Furth of Skaneateles, the present owner.