The Recurring In-law

Shuler Conover was a farmer. He raised corn to feed his pigs, was a good judge of horseflesh, and prospered, eventually becoming a “gentleman farmer” and leaving the work to others.

Shuler CU

Musical as well as agricultural, Conover was in the Skaneateles Band, led by Charles Krebs; Shuler played a drum and his brother Mortimer was in the brass section. During the Civil War, the lads accompanied the 149th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment to Washington, D.C., when it reported for duty.

Some time after 1862, Shuler bought Spencer Hannum’s house, just west of the National Hotel*, and moved from his farm to the village with his wife, Harriet, and their children: Frank, Jennie and Carrie.

From 1876 to 1879, Conover was the gatekeeper for Skaneateles Lake, regulating the flow of water from the lake into the outlet, assuring the Erie Canal and the downstream water-powered mills of an adequate supply while maintaining (and recording) the lake level. The State of New York paid him $12 a year and he had a short, beautiful walk to work. All in all, an idyllic existence, except for Eugene.

1883 Attorney

In 1882, Conover’s youngest daughter, Carrie, married Eugene Converse of Battle Creek, Michigan, where the couple first made their home. Eugene was an attorney, until he went off the rails.

First, he abandoned his wife and children in Battle Creek “after appropriating large sums from various parties.” Eugene Converse fled to Canada with $4,000 of other people’s money. Carrie Converse returned to Skaneateles with the children, Helen and Dean.

Next, nefarious but not bright, Eugene appeared in Waukesha, Wisconsin, and made a splash at the resort known as the “Saratoga of the West.” On October 18, 1887, posing as Eugene Charles Mason, he married Miss Jennie M. Jones. The newlyweds went to Chicago for their honeymoon, where police caught up to Eugene with an outstanding warrant. One account noted that at the moment of his arrest he was “in a barber’s chair, having his mustache shaved so that his identity might be concealed and he might escape to Canada.” Instead, he was returned to Battle Creek and brought before a judge, where bigamy was added to the charges of forgery and embezzlement.

As for Miss Jennie Jones, briefly “Mrs. Mason,” the newspaper reported, “The deluded Waukesha woman was taken home by her friends and is now almost heart-broken over her disgrace.”

In December, Converse was convicted and sentenced to five years at Michigan’s Jackson Prison. A newspaper in Charlotte, Michigan, described him as “the young and formerly popular attorney… who is now in prison for embezzlement, bigamy and several other malodorous crimes the exposure of which have lately given him an almost unprecedented reputation as a criminal.”

Jackson State

But he seemed undaunted. It was said that he “took his disgrace easily and seemed to think little of the feeling of the wives he had wronged.” A “keen, forcible writer,” he was nominated to head the prison’s weekly newspaper, and on Memorial Day 1888, he spoke on “Our National Day” in the prison chapel. After his release, he settled down to “an honest life” as a clerk in Jackson, Michigan. But he missed his (first) wife and began writing to her in a effort to prompt their reunion.

A newspaper account noted, “To be sure his explanation of his unwarranted action was scarcely plausible; he had, he said, been ruined by the forgery and hoped by marrying a rich girl, going with her to Europe and then deserting her, to get money enough to put him on his feet again.”

Well, that explained it. Converse then moved to Syracuse to plead his case personally, telling Carrie he loved her above all others. She yielded and married her husband for the second time in October of 1892.

Shuler Conover died in 1895 and Carrie came to Skaneateles to tidy up his estate. She sold the house at the corner of Hannum and West Genesee Streets to Norman O. Shepard in 1898, and her mother, Harriet, went to Syracuse to live with her granddaughter, Maud Conover Cory. Carrie Converse returned to Michigan, to Eugene and her two teenage children.

By his 1895 demise, Shuler Conover was spared the news when Eugene once again pulled up stakes. Citing “willful desertion,” Carrie Converse filed for divorce in Michigan in 1905. Uncontested by Eugene, the divorce was granted. In 1942, Carrie Converse died in Detroit, at the home of her daughter, Helen Converse; her marital status was politely noted as “widowed.” Her body was returned to Skaneateles, and buried with those of Shuler and Harriet Conover in the family plot at Lake View Cemetery.

Conover Grave Stone

*   *   *

* As Isaac Sherwood’s original inn changed hands, it was Lamb’s Hotel, then the Houndayaga House, then the National Hotel. It was purchased by John Packwood in 1865, known for a time as Packwood’s National Hotel, then renamed The Packwood House, and is today’s Sherwood Inn. For a much longer chronology, click here.

Spencer Hannum’s house, built in 1854 and later the home of Shuler Conover, is today’s Hannum House.

The photo of the Skaneateles Band was taken by Jonathan Edwards.

My thanks to and the Fulton History database.

One thought on “The Recurring In-law

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s