The present home of St. James’ Episcopal Church was built in 1873 and the sanctuary was enlarged in 1901, which dates the photo above as pre-1901. What will become F.C. Austin Park is still wild, with no breakwall.
The church after the sanctuary was enlarged, with the Tiffany window facing west. In the foreground, two men on the dock behind Legg Hall, with the roof of Joel Thayer’s boathouse visible on the left.
The back of the church. There are power lines, but steps still lead to the carriage entrance on the northeast corner of the church.
The land to the west has been cleared, but there is still no breakwall (built in 1935). The Weeks House, built in 1902, is visible across Genesee Street, and may have been occupied by the Hawkins family when this photo was taken.