On Saturday, June 4, 1898, the Deering Co. of Chicago, manufacturers of harvesting equipment, with the aid of their local sales representatives, hosted a display of Deering farm machines in the village park across the street from the Packwood House (today’s Sherwood Inn) and then treated buyers and other guests, 130 in all, to lunch at the inn. The Borodino Band provided “several airs,” and the day was capped by a parade, described in the Skaneateles Free Press of June 7th:
“Promptly at 2 P.M. the street parade took place. There were forty-four teams in line… headed by Marshal George Van Etten, followed by the Borodino Band, and the forty-four teams, drawing wagons on which were loaded mowers, binders and rakes. Many wagons were trimmed with flags, and all bore on their sides a large placard on which was printed in red ‘Deering.’ The line was over a quarter of a mile in length. The parade was witnessed by a large number of persons. The line of march was from Genesee-st. to Leitch-ave., to Academy-st., to Jordan-st., to W. Elizabeth-st., to Griffin-st., to Genesee-st., to the outlet bridge, where it was photographed by Artist Hummel and then disbanded.”
* * *
Photograph by William Ellsworth Hummel, courtesy of the Skaneateles Historical Society, scan by Bill Hecht, Press account from fultonhistory.com.