“The Tempest was built by Capt. John Furman in 1852. Soon after the Skaneateles Model Yacht Club was formed, with Edward Potter as Commodore. Besides the Club Flag each boat had its own flag, & a code of signals being adopted there were frequent reviews. W.H. Jewett was Vice Commodore. The club flag was a white star & a red cross on a blue ground.”
– From The Rev. William Martin Beauchamp’s Souvenirs of Some Early Days in Skaneateles, N.Y. (1882), copied and published by the Skaneateles Library Association in 1983. Note: The Skaneateles Model Yacht Club aspired to be “a model of excellence;” its boats were not models, but the real thing.